Friday, February 3, 2012

Coming Around Again - Chapter 33

Chapter 33



                         Gathered in Kate’s lounge were her parents, Dan’s parents, Claire and Desmond, Rachel, Johns dad Frank and Johns best friend Gary and his wife Debbie. Kate had taken special care in preparing the food for this evening. She wanted everything to be perfect. She wasn’t taking any chances on this happiness and she was grabbing it with both hands. John stood at the side of the fireplace and Kate joined him before she began.
                         ‘Hi everyone. Firstly I’d like to thank you for coming. John and I are delighted that you could make it tonight because we have a very special announcement to make. As you are all aware, John and I have been together for little more than four months. I guess you could call it a whirlwind romance but to be honest we haven’t given that too much thought. It’s been amazing meeting John. After everything I’ve been through….’ Pausing she looked at her parents and Dan’s parents..…’I really didn’t think I would ever be this happy again. John has helped turn my life around and I think his understanding and support have helped me move on from a place I thought I would be stuck in forever.’ Kate noticed a tear run down Marge’s cheek but decided to continue.
                        ‘Ok, so that said, John would like to make an announcement,’ she turned to John and was shocked to see him on his knee. In his outstretched hand he was holding a navy velvet
box and in it shone a beautiful emerald and diamond ring. ‘…..this wasn’t what we were going to ……’ he stopped her.
                     ‘Kate, I know this wasn’t in the plan for tonight, but if I’m honest meeting someone like you wasn’t in my plans at all. I never thought I was destined to meet a woman like you and certainly never thought I’d be lucky enough to have her fall in love with me. You are an amazingly strong, resilient, affection, caring woman. You are beautiful, you make me smile every day, even when you’re angry and I’m not meant to smile and although it’s only been a few months I knew the moment I met you that I would fall in love with you. So, Kate, my love, would you do me the honour of becoming my wife?’
                  ‘Oh my god, I….yes….yes I will.’ John jumped up and gathered her in his arms.
                  ‘I love you,’ she exclaimed before kissing him fervently.
                  ‘And I love you my darling,’ he kissed her back.
Their shocked friends and family began clapping and cheering at their display. Rachel jumped up from her place on the couch and grabbed Kate in a bear hug.
               ‘Congratulations Kate. I’m soo happy for you. I had no idea. I thought you were going to just move in together!’
                ‘So did I!’ Exclaimed Kate over the noise of gushing congratulations.
She turned to John who was been back slapped and congratulated.
               ‘When did you decide this?’
               ‘The day I met you!’ he shouted over the cheers.
Kate beamed as she looked at her future husband and felt the happiness envelope her.
              ‘Wait, wait...’ she held up her hand.
             ‘There’s more, let me speak,’ a hush came over everyone as they took swigs of their champagne.
             ‘I just want to say I had no idea that was going to happen, but apparently I may be the only one,’ she looked at her Dad and he shrugged his shoulders.
                ‘He’s an old fashioned guy love, he had to ask your auld Dad for permission,’ he smiled at her and winked at John.
                ‘Well, it may take a while for me to get over the shock, but in the meantime I have another announcement I would like to make,’ she took a deep breath.
               ‘I am delighted to announce that John and I are having a baby!’ she curtsied and placed a protective hand on her belly as John stood beaming by her side.
              ‘Darling,’ Rose rushed to her side ‘that’s just wonderful news.’
             ‘Katie love I couldn’t be happier for you,’ Jack embraced his daughter and kissed her cheek tenderly. You and John deserve all the happiness the world can bring. I can’t believe we’re going to have a baby in the family again…..’ Jack faltered and a tear slid down his cheek.
Kate hugged him tight
               ‘This doesn’t mean I am forgetting Alex in any way. He’ll always be my son,’ she whispered into his ear,  before beginning to cry.
              ‘I know love, sorry,’ Jack pulled away and wiped the tears from her cheeks. I don’t know what came over me. I’m so happy for you both.’
              The next few minutes was taken up with back slapping, kisses and hugs. Everyone was thrilled for them. After regaining her composure Kate was busy chatting to everyone when she noticed Marge leave the room.
              ‘Excuse me’ she said to Gary and Debbie ‘ I’ll be right back. She followed Marge into the Kitchen where she was making herself busy taking foil off the food and preparing it for serving.
              ‘Marge?’ Kate said gently ‘are you okay?’
             ‘Yes dear, I’m fine, congratulations,’ she didn’t look up. Kate reached her and turned Marge around. She saw the tears sliding silently down her face.
            ‘Oh, Marge,’ Kate pulled her close. ‘Please don’t be hurt by this. I need you to be happy for me. I hope you understand I’m not forgetting Dan or Alex during any of this, but I have to move on. I’ve found a happiness with John I thought I’d never find again.’
                 Marge moved from Kate’s embrace, embarrassed by the affection.
                ‘I’m sorry dear. I am happy for you, truly I am. It’s just…..I….I still miss them terribly Kate,’ Marge tried to wipe the tears from her face.
Kate placed her hand softly on Marges arm.
                ‘I know what that feels like Marge. Please don’t think you’re on your own with all this. You can still talk to us anytime.’
               ‘I know dear, thank you. I’m very happy for you and John and I hope you have a long and happy life together,’ she smiled at Kate and patted her arm.
               ‘Now, I think this food is ready for serving so if you’ll excuse me whilst I go powder my nose and then I’ll help you serve up.’
             ‘Thank you,’ Kate said as she put the coffee on. She understood that was all Marge was able to offer right now and was grateful for even that.

                                                                                        ***


              The following months were spent in a frenzy of wedding plans. Kate and John had opted for a short engagement in light of the fact that this was Kate’s second marriage and she was pregnant. They also decided that they wanted an intimate wedding in Ireland, close family and friends only. So three months after his proposal John found himself standing at the front of the church in Clonakilty waiting patiently for his bride to arrive. His stomach was doing somersaults as he fixed his tie and looked nervously around the church. Surrounded by their families and friends he couldn’t believe this day was here. He just wanted to make Kate his wife so they could officially start their lives together. The anticipation was killing him.
                Kate stood outside the church. The spring sunshine had broken through as she had arrived. ‘A good sign,’ she had thought.
               ‘Dad can you give me a minute please?’ Kate asked her Dad as they got out of the car.
               ‘Of course love, everything okay?’
               ‘Everything is great, I just have something I need to do. I’ll be back in a minute.’
Kate walked to the side of the church and placed her hands against the wall, pressing hard she held back the tears.
             This is it Dan. I wanted to say goodbye. I can’t talk to you anymore darling because I need to be fair to John. It wouldn’t be right if there were three of us in this marriage and that’s how it would be if I continued are little chats. I’ll share my hopes and dreams with John now and talk to him when I need advice or a helping hand. I hope you understand. You know I’ll think of you often and you and Alex hold a special place in my heart that nobody will ever replace. Please take good care of him for me. Hold him tight and tell him how much I love him still, and always will. Take care my love and thank you for all the happiness you brought me.’
             Kate took a deep breath and removed a tissue from her bridal purse, dabbing the tears at the corners of her eyes she walked to the front of the church where her Dad was standing looking dashing in his black suit and gold tie.
          ‘Hi. I’m ready now.’
          ‘You sure Katie? No doubts?’ Jack looked concerned.
         ‘No doubts Dad. I just needed to say some goodbyes.’
Jack took her hand.
           ‘I understand Katie,’ he squeezed tightly.
          ‘Everything is fine now. Let’s get me up that aisle and married before he changes his mind!’ Kate laughed with her Dad.
             ‘I don’t think there’s any fear of that love. The guys besotted!’
Kate beamed as she heard the wedding march start and the doors to the Church were opened.
            ‘Lets hope so.’

No comments: